Mourinho mentality vs Dan Kilpatrick mentality




I love listening to Jose Mourinho press conferences because he is on a different level to the press asking him questions.

He talks constantly about mentality, about the right attitude.

While the kids on their podcasts jump onthebangwagon

What did you think of the performance, you made four changes at half time what was thinking behind that?

"I would like to make 11. Why I didn't make five was because I was afraid of a long 45 minutes without any change to make.

"There is only one to blame which is me, I made the team, I have chosen the players to start and at all time I tried to improve the situation.

"But it was not enough, the dynamic of the first half was [still] there, the mentality of the first half was there and it is difficult to change.

"Also because they were changed. In the first half the game was very easy to play, lots of space, very, very easy in midfield, in between the lines, in the attacking positions, really easy to to play and to punish them, which we didn't and then in the second half we improve, but then they played in a complete different way.

"They took away spaces, they accumulate players in in their own half and was very difficult but in the end they got what they deserved and we also got what we deserved, so when the situation lands like this, is always fair and I'm always calm with it.

"The best team won and the worst team lost."

Question from Jerry Cox - Jose, I understand the need to mix things around and give other players a chance but does that disrupt your rhythm too much? The team seemed to been playing well recently. When you make nine changes just take the rhythm away from them?

"Look you know what our best team is. You know the same thing that i know and that everybody knows, but I think the players I always like to think that the players they deserve an opportunity.

"We have a big squad with lots of good players and it's my responsibility to give them opportunities to play and is also their opportunity to catch the chance with both hands and be in conditions to ask for more and tonight my future choices are going to be very easy, but again, there is only one responsible, not the players, is my responsibility because it's my decision to play them."

Question from Paul - Can you please tell me, i know you said it you could have made 11 substitutions and this defeat was not the fault of one player but can i have your assessment of Dele Alli's first half display please?

"I don't want to analyze individually, I don't like to do that especially with you. It is, I think, fair to say that players with bad performances influence the team, but also a team influences individual performances, so it's not for me to individualize and to bring some names to the to the table.

"You prefer to do that than myself, you always ask me before matches, why this player is not playing, why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected?

"Maybe now, for a few weeks, you don't ask me that because you have the answer."

Question from Belgium - Yesterday you called Antwerp physically strong and aggressive as a team. Were you today also impressed by the football the combinations through the ground?

"They are what I said, what we analyzed. We come from the best league in the world. We are used to playing every week with many of the best players in the world, many of the top teams in the world, that's the level where we belong.

"We have to come here and win period. There is no other thing to do. They played for sure at the maximum of their level of their ambition, of their enthusiasm, which I totally support and I totally praise. 

"They did the game and they did well and of course they got us in a in a situation where we let them win, I could almost say that, we let them win, but i don't want to take the credit from them because I repeat, when you give everything like they did, they just deserve praise."

Question from Jamie Weir - Is it very disappointing for you that just three nights after the performance in Burnley, which showed such hunger and desire, that those two attributes seem to be missing tonight?

"Of course it's disappointing because I keep saying that the team has to be a state of mind and you have to keep like I said always and sometimes you want me to say different things, but the only thing that I say is that every match I want to play well and every match i want to go to win, as simple as that.

"But it's more complicated than that too because you need to keep a certain state of mind, you need to keep a certain motivational level, you have to be constant, you have to be consistent and clearly after Monday night, where to win that match we needed everything from from every player, of course I'm frustrated that we come here tonight and we don't do the same."

Question from Dan Kilpatrick - You said before the game you'd like to see Deli and and Stephen Bergwijn in particular, grasp the opportunity with both hands. I think you said is it difficult for all the players on the fringe, when they're coming in to a much changed team, to impress. Do you kind of appreciate that it can be difficult for them to to get up to speed when you're making so many changes?

[This was my favourite question as it clearly comes from someone that has no idea what a winning mentality is, how those with a winning mentality think. I immediately gave the same answer as Jose, no.]

"No."

Dan Kilpatrick again - I mean, so we would, is it fair to say you'd like these guys who are coming into the team to hit the ground running straight away and show you from the start they deserve.

"Of course that's what I want from the players. That's what I expect from the players, especially when you are a player with ambitions to be a first choice and ambitions to play in the most important matches and ambitions to start every match, especially now in the Premier League.

"You have to show, that's, I think, an obvious, an obvious thing and everybody works the same, everybody trains the same, everybody learns the same, we prepare every match the same, with the same care.

"The same tactical work that we did yesterday is the same tactical work that we did before Burnley, that we did before Manchester, that we did before every every match to prepare the the players, so of course I expect, but again I go back to the beginning and is my entire responsibility to choose the players to play."

Thw difference between the winning mentality of Jose Mourinho, where there are no excuses, to the failure mentality of Standard columnist Dan Kilpatrick, is stark.



This just highlights what I have been writing for 7 years.

What Dan is displaying is a typical failure mentality.

A belief that a player should be given charity, that it should be easy for them.

This is what separates great players from the rest, their mentality, their I must perform mentality, their no excuses mentality.

The weak, excuse driven, blame someone else mentality you see from journalists like Dan and Alasdair Gold is how those who don't have a winning mentality look at things.

Gareth Bale currently has different goals to Dele, his goal is to get match fit, he clearly isn't at the moment.

Carlos Vinicius has different goals, he has to learn a language, learn a system, learn about how we want him to play and how the other players play.

Giovani Lo Celso is coming back from injury and needing to get match fit.

Different players have different goals, Dele simply has to produce his ability, he has none of the other issuesto attend to.

The problem is he has been too concerned with his image, feels he has made it and doesn't have to continue to put the effort in.

Now, with a winning mentality in charge, he is finding the realities of being a winner are somewhat different to his current attitude.

His comment, that the tactics were defend and hump it upfield, show he is not 100% behind the manager.

Just like Tanguy Ndombele had to (and his attitude will only remain while it is going well for him), Dele has to change his attitude.

I have seen signs, but this is a beg test, hauled off at half-time, how will he react?

A winner will simply redouble heir efforts, be even more determined, we'll see.