Results for European football

Italy manager Conte +103 others face match fixing charges

10:16 am
A match-fixing dossier at the Italian Soccer Federation contains "proof" Italy coach Antonio Conte did nothing to fix matches, his defence said on Tuesday 30 June. 




Conte was previously coach at Juventus, Serie A champions for three seasons under their Italian former player before he left for the national side.

The Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) President, Carlo Tavecchio, said on Tuesday 30 June that Italy coach Antonio Conte is staying in his job, amid media reports that he is set to be sent to criminal trial over a match-fixing probe. 


"I spoke to him (Conte) this morning and there are no developments. He is staying in his job and will respect his contract".

Conte is being probed as part of the Cremona-based criminal 'Last Bet' investigation. While at Juventus the 45-year-old former player served a four-month ban at the start of the 2012-2013 season. That was because he was found by a sporting tribunal to have failed to report match-fixing during his spell at the helm of Siena in the second tier in the 2010-2011 campaign. Tavecchio suggested the coach would not be asked to step down if he is indicted.


"In this country we have guarantees for everyone, including Conte. An indictment is not a conviction".

It now emerges that prosecutors in the northern city of Cremona have requested that Conte and 103 others be sent to trial for alleged offences related to match fixing. He is accused of sporting fraud in relation to alleged attempts to fix a match against AlbinoLeffe when he was in charge of Siena in Serie B.

Next a preliminary hearings judge will have to decide whether to accept the request and indict Conte and the other suspects. The more serious charge of criminal association has been dropped by the prosecutors. The remaining suspects, which includes the two former Italian internationals Cristiano Doni and Beppe Signori, are charged with criminal association. 

In another matter Conte has spoken to the press to complain about the number of Italians now playing in Serie A, just 33%, which he says will affect the chances of the national side in the next two World Cups.


"The concern about the (2022) World Cup in Qatar is due to the fact that, when (2006 World Cup-winning coach Marcello) Lippi was in charge, he could choose from 61-62 Italians out of 100 (players). Today this has come down to 33. This is the greatest risk that Italy runs today. If this percentage keeps coming down, it'll be difficult to be competitive".

Sounds like the problem England have had for years. In most countries, one organisation runs the football, in England we have two running it who have different agendas, the Premier League and the Football Association.

Further Tottenham Articles
Paulinho & Capoue show Harry Redknapp was right
Different routes at Spurs for youngsters Alli and Hall




Italy manager Conte +103 others face match fixing charges Italy manager Conte +103 others face match fixing charges Reviewed by THBlogNews on 10:16 am Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.