Resigned but effectively pushed reveals Hoddle

Out go one old Tottenham guard and in come the new Tottenham guard, that's the story at Queens Park Rangers after Harry Redknapp bizarrely left because of his knee and first team coach Glenn Hoddle left too.

Resigned but effectively pushed reveals Hoddle


Taking over are Head of Football Operations, Les Ferdinand and he will be supported by former Spurs coach Chris Ramsey. The bookies have unsurprisingly made Tim Sherwood, the final member of the triumvirate who took temporary charge at Spurs, as their favourite to be appointed the new manager.

That of course means very little because for some reason I have yet to figure out they seem to have made Sherwood favourite for every vacant position going, even if the club has a director of football. Sherwood feels the manager should have control, not the director of football, but if the manager yes the yes or no on players then he is in control. Sherwood seems to view the post with suspicion as he conformed that the head coach at Tottenham has the final say on signings.

Hoddle confirmed he was leaving to Zapsportz.com and his words clearly indicate that Redknapp was effectively sacked. In such circumstances you allow the incumbent to leave by mutual consent or to resign for whatever reason, in this case his knee operation.

"I am a bit shocked and surprised, to tell you the truth. We all know football is a results-orientated business but I always felt that given a few more games, Harry could have turned it around down there at the bottom. 
"It would have only taken a couple of good results to have achieved that as it is very tight down there. But that's football for you. I have enjoyed coming back into coaching and I thanked Harry for giving me that opportunity to dip my toe back into the coaching arena. 
"I have enjoyed every minute. I wished him all the best and I do sincerely hope QPR can stay up. I would love the players to turn it around as I have enjoyed working with them - and hope I have improved them."

I have to say I've always liked old Harry and can never understand the daft attitude towards his son Jamie. Some fans seem to have invented he has an axe to grind which isn't actually born out by anything he has done in the media. He has simply been honest in his assessment at Spurs and spot on in much of it as well.

Happy retirement Harry, better get that knee sorted so you can get on the golf course.