Liverpool, I applaud you

I watched the Liverpool vs. Birmingham game on the box yesterday evening and saw the Red's truly batter Birmingham. I muted the TV as I couldn't stand for another Jon Champion assisted commentary and put on Five Live instead. Out of the fire and into the frying pan. Instead of Champion, I got Green, Alan Green. Now, this man either hates everyone (Jimmy Armfield excluded), has an extraordinarily sized chip on his shoulder (thanks Phil), or just simply, detests Rafa Benitez?

Either way, it's quite obvious to me that you can count Alan Green in on the "Rafa Out" movement group.

Personally, I quite like Rafa. I think he's a top, world-class manager. I also view Liverpool fans among the best in land and yesterday's fan performance reiterated that fact. After drawing 2-2 with a team that, well, let's face it, they should have beaten and beaten comfortably, the Kop simply applauded. I was waiting for the booing crescendo, but none came.

Rafa, as we know, is a particular kind of guy. His captain, Steven Gerrard, had said that in all the time he had known his boss, the two had never spoken about anything other than football. I assume that's a far cry from our Harry. The players probably leave their kids round his house when they want to go out with their wags. Maybe little Bent could have taken a few tips off of Sandra and shown what he had learnt to his father; who knows? The point is that some managers have relationships with their players, whilst others don't. Mr. Benitez obviously falls under the latter criterion.

I said that I think Rafa Benitez is a 'top, world-class manager'. You don't win La Liga twice and the UEFA Cup with a side that had to compete with Real Madrid and Barcelona, without having something special about you. He took Liverpool to the Champions League final twice, winning one ever so memorable game.

Liverpool fans and by that, I mean the true Kopites, have given Rafa time. They will continue to grant the Spaniard time. They are true football fans, knowing the bigger picture. He'll also be given time by his management (or two clowns). They won't sack a guy that still has the fans by his side. Let's not also forget the other financial deterrent in that Rafa has approximately 4 and a half years to go on his new lucrative contract.

I can see Liverpool going on a run in the second half of the season that will see them clinch the 4th (or maybe 3rd) Champion's League spot.

I wish other fans around the country were as willing and loyal as Liverpool fans. I make this point because on Saturday, a lot of so-called Spurs fans, booed the players off at half-time. We were 1-0 up at that point, but they booed. Abuse was hurled at Harry for his "negative tactics". It pains me to say it, but anyone who booed on Saturday at half-time is a moron.

Let's try and be a bit stylish eh? I heard a few fans calling for Harry's head. I won't mention the exact phrase used, but it went along the lines of (picture a large bloke with stains down his 1999 home strip, IQ lower than 23, you know the sort); "If we lose this one to, well, that's it, Harry's got to go. He's not done anything different to what Jol did and he's useless".

That's right, Harry's useless. He saved us from the Championship, but all in all, the guy hasn't got a clue.

I do wonder about us sometimes.


If you've liked what you've read, why not read the new article that's just been published; Naming Rights

_________________________
Follow our rants on Twitter