De Boer confirms preference for Spurs over Barcelona

Frank de Boer's interview with Italian news outlet Gazzetta dello Sport has clarified his desire to manage in England, Germany or Spain.


De Boer confirms preference for Spurs over Barcelona


"I have never talked with Inter Milan, but I prefer the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga.

"Italian football is very much in decline. Juventus did not play badly but they often expect that the two forwards need to create something. It's not my football.

"I would not go to Barcelona. It is very difficult to be a coach there. What can you teach players like Messi and Iniesta?

"Probably they need a manager rather than a coach, but I'm a coach rather than a manager."

De Boer has been linked with the Barcelona post with uncertainty over the future of their manager and his reasons for ruling them out must also surely apply to Real Madrid, what could he teach Ronaldo?

While looking for another club he will want one that has a better chance in the Champions League than Ajax have so he'll need a club with resources. If he has to build and take that club into the Champions League that would simply be a part of the mark he would like to leave. In his interviews he has mentioned the ability to spend so a club with a reasonable level of income would be required and with the European Union tightening up on the free bank loans Spanish clubs were getting La Liga clubs would struggle to attract him.

"Tottenham talked informally with Ajax of my contract. I think they are quite happy with Tim Sherwood, but it is normal that they take information about a possible successor, as did Liverpool in the past.

"That time, I said I wanted to stay at Ajax. I'm very happy here, but if it came from a club with an interesting perspective and a good team, I would consider the proposal.

"I want to understand what contribution I can give."

Clearly he considers Tottenham to have the income level he requires, the philosophy he requires, the potential he requires and the desire he requires having spoken in warm terms about the club and it's history. He has openly said Tottenham is a club he could see himself managing, nice to know he prefers us to Barcelona.

Louis Van Gaal was the number one candidate but after he was tipped off to wait fr the Manchester United job our attention turned towards De Boer. He remains at the top of our wanted list with Mauricio Pochettino as one of a number of potential back-up options.