HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO - Trippier and the impact of nerves

For those of you who missed the game or indeed want to see some of the skill on show again the highlights video at the foot of the post gives nice close-up coverage.

It begins with Trippier and his introduction to the Tottenham crowd by giving away a clear cut penalty. It demonstrates that players have nerves, coming to a new club with expectation, supporters just assume a player will simply reproduce what they have done elsewhere in a different system, but they have to adapt. Nerves are a good thing if you channel them into improving your performance.

One of my best bowling performances I recall was against a quality side on a boiling hot day when I looked at my team and saw we hardly had any bowlers, if I didn't succeed we were in trouble, it is the most nervous I have ever felt, butterflies in the stomach. I bowled more over in that game than in any other, conceded few runs and took wickets.

You can either wilt with nerves, as you often see people do in a Cup Final, or channel them and let them help you perform better. Trippier made a rash decision and he had to show character to come back from that, which augers well for the future.