Barcelona scouting Spurs youngster

Tottenham Hotspur have been watching Barcelona youngsters and have coveted a few but to no avail but it is not all one way with reports in Spain suggesting Barcelona have their eye on a Tottenham youngster.



Bolavip.com say Barcelona have scouted Europe for players they feel could be the big stars of the next decade and on their list is Marcus Edwards.

Edwards recently scored a stunning goal for England at the 14th UEFA European Under-17 Championship in Bulgaria. He scored the winner against Italy and Republic of Ireland as England topped their group but lost to Russia in the Quarter-finals. He then scored his penalty in the penalty shoot-out against Spain after a 0-0 draw in the play-off game.

Unreal feeling to score the winner v Italy. Great team performance 🏾

He spoke to the FA official website after the Italian win.

"Every Monday at Tottenham we always do a finishing session. We practice different types of finishing - reaction, finishing through legs, all types from different positions. 
"So when Herbie got the ball on the edge of the area I knew he was going to shoot, so I was ready and made sure I stayed onside. 
"It hit the post and then Stephy's shot was deflected, so I had to readjust my body when I saw the ball coming. 
"When the ball came to me I had to put my full concentration into the touch, and then I just had an open goal and finished. 
"It was just the best feeling in the world - but you don't know what to do with yourself. I was too happy to celebrate.'

England manager John Peacock spoke to the FA website reporter after the Ireland game that Edwards was outstanding.

"Marcus is predominantly left-footed, and everybody always tries to keep him on the other foot. But all of a sudden he pulls one out with his right foot that goes into the top corner. 
"He obviously saw the picture in his head, technically delivered it and I'm delighted as it got us the win I thought we deserved."

The 16-year-old is an attacking midfielder who has scored 5 goals in 18 England Under-17 games after scoring 1 goal in 6 games at Under-16 level. He was under Tim Sherwood at Spurs who rates him highly and a player who will be a make-a-difference footballer.

"He is the kind of player who, as a coach, makes you look forward to walking out on to that pitch in the morning. Everyone in development football has heard of Marcus. He is a gifted technician with a low centre of gravity, who can pass off either foot or dribble past opponents. 
"When I was at Spurs, I would persuade anyone and everyone at the training ground to come over to see him train. He is a joy to watch. Again, he is the kind of player who might not always get a game. There might be a bigger boy who could be more effective on that given day, but in time Marcus has the potential to be a great player, a make-the-difference footballer. He can win you a game. These are the kind of talented players that we must not neglect."