A Nigerian billionaire is plotting to buy a stake in Arsenal

....but only if the current Arsenal board send him £100,000 so that he can get his money out of Nigeria safely.

I can picture Arsenal's Chairman, Hill-Wood, waiting to hear if the Nigerian businessman, has received his reply that the £100,000 will be wired by Western Union on Monday morning.

I wonder how this all went down? Probably something like this;

"Dear Mr. Hill-Wood, my name is Aliko Dangote, and I am one of the richest men in Africa. Unfortunately, my funds (worth in excess of £4.7 billion) have been ceased by the government.

"I am now attempting to leave the country and I see that your club has not given Mr. Wenger any money for a long time. I can help in this matter. If you can help me, I will give you £500 million.

"I have bribed a government official into allowing me to leave, but I need to give him £100,000. Please wire me this small amount and as soon as I am free to leave Nigeria, I will hand over the £500 million for assisting me. I await your email."

********

Surely someone at The Sun (the red top that published this article) saw the funny side? You always have to suspect something is up, especially when the paper credits a story to simply "Published: Today".

_________________________________________________
Follow our rants on Twitter

Read our latest Evening Standard Blog


Have you got an iPod or mp3 player? If you love listening to audiobooks, click here....

Big Chiv: My Goals in Life - Get it now!