Lamela, Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Kaboul, AVB, Defoe quotes

Argentinian youngster Erik Lamela produced a performance which drew praise last night and tonight's article focuses on what Andros Townsend can learn from that performance to benefit his own game. It will be released at 8pm and follows on from the Lennon article against Everton where we talked about width and creating holes so look out for it.

Reaction from last nights victory over FC Sherrif.

Erik Lamela spoke after the game. "It was very emotional evening because I scored my first goal. I'm very happy about that and very happy that we won as well. We have a very strong squad and it is very competitive. We always want to do well in all the tournaments we play in. All of our players are strong, whatever their position and in that position [right wing] there are two or three players who know the position well. That means that there is a lot of competition and we have to keep on improving. I heard all about what those two [Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles] did and it is really inspirational for me. Everyone knows what they did here."

Christian Eriksen said: "Erik [Lamela] is seeing his confidence come back, he was impressive and he's great to play with. Our performance as a team could have been much better. We played against a very defensive side but we tried [to break them down]. We wanted to go through soon as possible and we've achieved that but of course we still want to win our remaining games. It's a competition we want to win. I'm still trying to get used to everyone and everything [at Tottenham]. I think I started really well at the club but after that it went a little bit down now I'm just trying to find space and develop more."

Gylfi Sigurdsson said: "It was just about getting the job done. They had a lot of people behind the ball and sat just outside their box but as soon as we got the goal we felt comfortable and they lost their way. I think their goal towards the end was very unnecessary on our part. Lamela was fantastic today, he looked really good. I'm for him that he got his goal and obviously he won the penalty as well. It was one of those days where it just worked out for him. Hopefully he can continue doing that."

Younès Kaboul said: "At White Hart Lane we've got an amazing atmosphere at each game, especially in Europe because there is a different motivation. I'm happy for each game to have a crowd like we do in Europe. The crowd are the 12th man. It's important for the players to be pushed by the fans all game.
That win puts us in a very comfortable position. I'm very happy with the performance, it was not easy but we did the job. [Lamela] did very well. He is fighting every day in training to get into the team and tonight he was incredible he showed his class like he does every day in training."

Andre Villas-Boas said of Lamela: "We had been waiting for Lamela to have a game like this. We have been patient with him and he has delivered. We saw some signs for what he can do for us and hopefully he can now progress. He is very creative and has no fear to take on his man and beat him. [Scoring] can only help in his confidence."

Andre Villas-Boas said of Defoe: "We are all particularly happy for him. It is a great honour and will stay in time like Martin's and will be very difficult to break. I hope it means this club will continue on this competition in to the later stages to make it even more prestigious for him. We were expectant and glad that it happened today. We were trying to put him through on goal, Erik did very well to create the chance through the penalty and he slotted it home."

Jermain Defoe said: “I saw Martin at half-time and he said ‘keep going, you can do it, you can break the record’ and that calmed me down a bit. It’s crazy how it all happened. I came down the tunnel and he was there, smiling. He wanted me to do it and it’s fantastic. It really means a lot. He’s a legend at this club and to be at the top now, I’m delighted. It’s an amazing feeling. It’s not really sunk in yet. When we got the penalty, I was confident I was going to score. I waited for the goalkeeper to move and I thought ‘I’ll just whip this’ and yes, like I said before, some things are just meant to be.

“I thought Erik was fantastic. It’s not easy for a youngster to come into this country and settle straight away. It takes time. It was a great performance from the first whistle and when he scored his goal, that was brilliant for him.”


Subscribe to THBN