Questions need to be answered

Not by Harry Redknapp, but by us, the fans.

I was watching the game in a pub that was packed to the rafters with fellow Spurs fans, yet all I could hear were chants of "Redknapp's rubbish!", "What is he playing at, he hasn't got a f***ing clue how to manage a club in the Champions League!", and my favourite, "If we had only two points in this group, Harry would win it for us".

Oh how fickle a lot of us are. Not all, but the majority. I even found myself feeling extra uncomfortable when the fourth goal went in and thoughts of "Redknapp is so very tactically naive in Europe" crossed my mind.

Thing is, as a club, we are at the Genesis of what could be a flourishing series of campaigns in the Champions League. I do believe that we have the squad and manager to make our entry into the competition a regular occurrence. Although based on the Italian TV directors guidelines, Clive Allen might just be than man to steer us to Champions League glory.

We are on a learning curve and as curves go, we are slowly, but surely, bending towards getting out of this group.

I am not doubting that we looked like fluffy rabbits stunned by oncoming headlights in the first half. In the second half however, we were the boy-racer in the GTI, bombing down towards the shocked, soon to be road-kill.

I doubt there's any need to go on about just how good Gareth Bale is, for his class shines through easily enough for all to see.

As regards our naivety, I advise you to reminisce Manchester United's first exploits in this very competition back in the early nineties. Remember how long it took them to figure this competition out?

I was going to ask you all to give us time, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Inter won't be knocking down the same lilywhite, fluffy-tailed rabbits in two weeks when they visit Tottenham.

We've got the GTI and Gareth's driving it.



Subscribe to THBN

Read our latest Evening Standard Blog


Have you got an iPod or mp3 player? If you love listening to audiobooks, click here....

Big Chiv: My Goals in Life - Get it now!