Ange Postecoglou’s after game interview with Network 10

Ange Postecoglou’s Australian TV interview with Network 10


Ange Postecoglou’s interview with Network 10


Ange Postecoglou spoke with Network 10 after losing 3-2 to West Ham in his first match as Tottenham Hotspur head coach in Perth.

When asked by former Socceroo turned Network 10 television presenter and journalist Narelda Jacob about if he ever gets the chance to stop and think about all the coaches aspiring to reach the heights he is currently enjoying, Postecoglou said:

“No I don’t mate. Everything happens… look, although at the same time I am mindful of the fact that is how we grew up.“Going to watch teams like this, that gave us the inspiration for you to go overseas, for us to love the game. 
So being back here with the team and obviously being an Australian, it doesn’t get lost on me that there is a great responsibility apart from obviously representing the football club, I’m representing a lot of people who love our game.

“That is why I’ve got to be successful, mate. I’ve got to keep being successful so that hopefully we get more coming through.”

Network 10 host Tara Rushton then asked if he was having fun as Spurs manager, despite the high-stakes nature of the job. 

“I’m living the dream. I don’t say that flippantly. I was a boy who grew up here in Australia, there is nothing that I’m thinking what have I gotten myself into.

“I’m exactly where I want to be. I love every minute of it. I’ve loved every minute of every job I’ve had. This is another layer, I enjoy it immensely.”

Postecoglou then spoke about the performance where Spurs enjoyed 73% possession and had 32 shots.

“I’ve got to be careful. At the end of the day, I’m asking them to do things they haven’t done before.

“They’re all fantastic footballers, it’s about allowing them to be able to make mistakes along the way. I’ll take responsibility for that. We weren’t as organized as we should have been, there were a couple of things that weren’t structurally right. That’s on me.

“Beyond that for me, the most important thing is their willingness to try and play and implement the stuff I’m doing. You know better than me there is going to be bumps along the road, that is where your belief gets tested. I love this bit.

“That is what you want. You want the players to feel good out there and say ‘This is working’.

“This is what I want, I want to dominate teams, I want to play in the opposition half, create chances, be exciting, do all those things and hopefully they feed off that and it gives me the impetus then to say ok there is another layer to that about how we become harder to beat, become stronger from a defensive perspective, all these kind of things.

“If you do that, you get all the cream. You get all the stuff you really love. I almost swore then, by the way!”

It was said to the Scottish press by his Celtic number 2 that Postecoglou was more of a Sporting Director than just a manager and research has revealed that while in Australia he had to do everything as a boss, so has had a grounding in scouting, analyzing players, video analysis, etc.

He was asked now that he had greater resources at his disposal whether he has relinquished any duties.

“Not really. That is the beauty of sort of learning my trade here [Australia]. I had to do everything when I first started. I was doing the video analysis, the scouting, everything.

“That is the beauty of it. It allows me now, yeah I’ve got some brilliant people working in these areas, but I can be across everything.

“What I keep telling the people working with me, 'just overload me with information', I’m good at filtering stuff, I want to know what is going on and I enjoy that part of it. I enjoy understanding every part of the job and what it entails, 

I don’t like relinquishing any of it. It is because in my beginnings I was doing all of it, I love that aspect and it’s probably the advantage I have over other managers.”

The Match: Tottenham vs West Ham

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United
Date: Tuesday, 18 July 2023
Venue: Optus Stadium

Ange Postecoglou's Tottenham Revolution: Unveiling the Exciting New Style of Play

We Tottenham Hotspur fans witnessed an intriguing and exciting display under the stewardship of our new Australian manager, Ange Postecoglou. In our first pre-season friendly against West Ham after some of the guys had only been back a week, Spurs showcased an enticing brand of football, giving us fans a first glimpse of what lies ahead for this wonderful club.

With 73% possession and 32 shots, the match highlighted Postecoglou's relentless commitment to possession-based attacking football. As I explained when Pochettino arrived, if you have the ball the opposition can't score, but Conte and Mourinho wanted to give the ball to the opposition, putting yourself under extreme pressure, which the boys struggled with, despite sitting third before downing tools.

This second part of the article explores the key moments and patterns we observed during the match, shedding light on the intent and style our Aussie head coach is looking to instill in the squad.

The Moment that Embodied Postecoglou's Philosophy

One particular moment during the match epitomized the playing philosophy that Ange Postecoglou aims to establish at Tottenham. In the 74th minute, spectators and Postecoglou himself applauded a mesmerizing eight-pass move that started from the depths of our own half.

Emerson Royal and Davinson Sanchez displayed composure and determination, on our own by-line breaking through West Ham's determined press, illustrating the intent to play out from the back, regardless of the pressure faced.

This is something Pochettino insisted upon too, indeed players told the media that if they didn't they would br dropped spo hoofing it upfield in the traditional English way was simply out of the question.

Postecoglou's emphasis on intent and fearlessness was evident in that move. The manager wants his players to embrace a structure that encourages them to play attractive football, taking calculated risks and not shying away from challenges.

While the team might experience occasional mistakes, the focus remains on showcasing the positive outcomes that can emerge from such daring play.

The Methodology at Play

Within just a few weeks of his tenure, Postecoglou's tactics seemed deeply ingrained in the squad. During the match, Tottenham made 11 changes at halftime, yet the fluidity and intent of play were maintained in both halves.

The attacking width was entrusted to players like Alfie Devine and Ivan Perisic, while fullbacks Emerson Royal and Destiny Udogie assumed intriguing central positions with the ball. The team was encouraged to create overloads and disrupt the opponent's defence, exemplifying Postecoglou's approach to football.

Manor Solomon, an exciting addition to Tottenham's squad, caught the eye with his dynamic play as a wide man in Postecoglou's system. The manager emphasizes the importance of these wide players, and Solomon's presence adds depth to the team's attacking options.

Encouraging Signs and Room for Improvement

Despite the eventual 3-2 defeat, there were encouraging signs for Tottenham fans. Players like Dejan Kulusevski and Yves Bissouma showcased their growing confidence and attacking flair. Postecoglou expressed satisfaction with the willingness of his players to implement the new playing style, although he acknowledged that there is still much work to be done to fully establish it.

David Moyes' Perspective

West Ham's manager, David Moyes, praised Postecoglou's football philosophy and anticipated a shift in Tottenham's playing style. He recognized the strengths of Tottenham's squad, especially our exceptional center-forward, Harry Kane. Moyes expected Postecoglou to adopt an inverted full-back approach and encourage playing through the lines, making Tottenham formidable once again on the field.

Conclusion

Ange Postecoglou's early days at Tottenham Hotspur have already given us fans a taste of what the future holds for the club. With a focus on intent, fearless football, and a fluid playing style, Postecoglou's methodology is taking shape within the squad.

While there may be challenges ahead, the excitement and promise of a new era under the Australian manager has us Tottenham fans eagerly awaiting the upcoming Premier League campaign.

COYS

Below is a series of Ange Postecoglou articles:

Below is the last article: