The Albert Einstein solution to Spurs problems

The Albert Einstein solution to Spurs problems

The-Albert-Einstein-solution-to-Spurs-problems


Well good morning once again to my band of merry men (and women), at least they will be merry now the pubs are open!

So, are you all excited to see what route I go down today, avenues you simply don't get in the mainstream press.

Well, today, I'd thought I'd start with Albert Einstein as he and I are so similar.

Back in 1919, a solar eclipse had special significance for the scientific community because it was a chance to prove Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

Einstein predicted that the curvature of space would distort the light of stars.

He said they would appear to bend.

An expedition was assembled to watch and sure enough Einstein was proved right.

One of his pupils asked him, “What would you have said if you had been proven wrong?”

Einstein replied:

"I would have been obliged to blame God, because my theory is correct."


OK, what the hell has this got to do with Tottenham, I hear you asking.

Confidence, my friend, confident, even arrogance.

Confidence is an element of success (perhaps I'll remind you of the success formula soon), but it is FAR MORE DANGEROUS not being completely confident in yourself.

Not being confident limits you, it stops you trying things, it makes you overthink things.

José Mourinho knows how to win things, he has done it at every club he has been at.

He has a winning mentality.

If he gathers enough winning mentalities around him, he wins things.

It's as simple as that.

Winning is as simple as that.

Many of you will disagree...

Many of you will want to overthink.

Do you back someone who has been there and done it or players who haven't.

Does Dele Alli and Harry Winks know better how to win trophies than José Mourinho?

Some complain he splits dressing rooms.

Well of course he does, because losing mentalities don't see they should do what a winning mentality wants.

They rebel.

Winning mentalities knuckle down and do every detail, the rest, the 95%, you probably, give up.

It's too tough.

Whine, moan, complain.

These failure traits are what some of you are supporting.

You are, in fact, supporting the perpetuation of failure.

The whole playing ethos has to change to a winning mentality one...

And that isn't going to happen until you have a winning mentality at the helm.

Let me ask you this.

“What makes you think you’re going to do something that no one else has even dreamed yet?”

What would be your answer?

"What makes you think, these players that have bottled every big occasion, because they have the skills, are suddenly going to win things under another manager?"

You could say Spurs are at a turning point.

Do you go for success with all it's problems of hurt to some...

Or do you stick with the tried and trusted failure way?

OK, a secret.

The trick is being able to channel those ‘negative’ emotions (Arrogance, anger, fear) so that they serve as fuel for your progress.

The worst thing you could do is use them to feed your ego.

I remind you of the story of a cricket match against Gravesend II (with 1st XI batsmen in the side)...

In which I looked around and saw we only had three bowlers...

If I didn't succeed...

If I didn't do my job...

We would get hammered.

I was frightened what might happen...

I was nervous...

Never before had I been nervous in a cricket game...

Not even when facing fast bowlers with no helmet...

Indeed I'd wind them up so they would bowl their fastest...

But they would also be erratic and not aim for my stumps...

And I had supreme confidence they wouldn't get me out therefore.

Anyway, back to this game.

I produced, what I consider to be, my best bowling spell for the club...

18 overs (on the trot) 4-37.

That's 4 wickets, whisker away from a 5th...

For 37 runs...

On a wicket ideal for batsmen to score runs...

On a hot sunny day.

I channelled those nerves...

The worry...

The fear...

The anxiety...

Into my performance...

And produced my A game...

My absolute best...

Better than I had performed before.

That's what a winning mentality does for you.

Why then...

Are professional sportsmen...

Paid an absolute fortune...

Unable to follow that process...

Unable to do the same thing?

Why are they whinging and moaning...

When that should be channelled into their performance...

Every time they step onto a pitch?

Tell me why that incorrect mental approach...

Is going to change under a new manager.

The wrong mentality is inherent within them.

Unless a psychologist changes it...

That wrong mentality will remain...

And rear it's ugly head when things get tough again.

Why would you put your faith in mentalities like that?

Are those mentalities going to bring you trophies?

No.

They have already proven that to you.

It is painful I know...

Their is a clash between Einstein and those who don't know any better.

Spurs need to back Einstein.

The weak mentalities need to be moved on...

Replaced by those who know how to channel fear...

Nerves...

Excitement...

Anxiety.

Only then will we lift a trophy.

Obviously the two sides are going to clash...

With one set of weak mentalities wanting to blame everyone but themselves...

That clash is inevitable.

When we sell players...

Apart from French homegrown Aurier and Lloris...

They won't be going to top clubs.

There is a reason for that...

Mentally they don't have what it takes.

So why then...

Are they good enough for us?

This is the harsh truth...

Skill is not enough...

Skill is ten a penny.

You learn what it takes to be a winner...

Or you get on your bike.

Giving in to players crying to save your own skin...

Simply perpetuates failure.

There has to be a fundamental change in approach.

The board must back a winning mentality to teach the rest.

That broom has to go through the club...

Through the playing staff.

Do we choose the success route...

Or chicken out because it's too tough?

Winning mindset or failure mindset?

We'll see.

In addition there are the players I talked about in the last post More Tottenham Transfer Talk.

Well I'll leave it there for today.