Spurs to Successfully Challenge for Top Four


Spurs to Successfully Challenge for Top Four





OK folks, today we have another post inspired by a Tweet from long time reader @JakeProcter. I read all your Tweets and they do inspire article ideas.

I take what you say and if I see a tangent I can run down, add something to the knowledge base on top of news of my frogs and cooking tips for Mrs O'Connor (she doesn't need any really I'm sure), then a writing I will go. 

Only Gordon Blue cooking in this house. I learnt the bare necessities, the simple bear necessities of life because I always came in late from playing sport, well the pub after the sport actually and missed meal times so Mum simply said there is the kitchen, thus I had to learn to cook.

No Viv (that's Mrs O's current husband she says, wandering eyes on Hugo Lloris) didn't tell me to give her some tips (it would be so easy to cause domestic strife wouldn't it) but the boy needs to work a bit harder and bring her a flower in bed, or a cuppa now and then.

Pull your socks up Mr O'Connor, there is a bit more to this romance malarky than sloshing a bottle of wine down your good lady.

The potatoes were chopped up into little chunks today and cooked in the oven with the chicken, which reminds me to put sausagemeat on the shopping list.

Right, the frogs. 

I was weeding yesterday (bloody vineweed gets everywhere) and I twice saw a movement so with my dodgy eyes I looked and looked and thought I saw one of the frogs.

I'm probably 7/8 ft away, that's 7/8ft from frog to eyes so I bend down nearer ground level and I'm still not sure.

So I called over a second pair of eyes to confirm it was Mr Frog on the opposite side of the garden to the pond and sure enough it was. Always a happy occasion when you see one of them, a very rare occasion to see two together but have seen them both sitting on the surface of the pond, waiting.

That sighting begs the question, does Mr Frog hop around the garden through the undergrowth to remain safe or does he make a dash for it across the patio?

I guess I had better get on with the footballater.

It's a small one today, as the actress said to the bishop.

Our 3-1 away win in a game where we showed we were interested but Newcastle certainly had the best player on the park in Allan Saint-Maximin, a threat whenever he got the ball.

Our defending is getting better, we are staying in shape and letting the opposition have the ball just beyond the halfway line.

The work being put in on the training ground to lay these foundations are giving cause for hope.

Where we finish in the Premier League will have an effect on our transfer window, but, it also means that if we don't finish 7th then we might have no European football.

That means a less burden on Harry Kane and perhaps a striker might wait for another season, although unless we show significant improvement he might only be here for one more year.

Tottenham need to win a trophy next season. If we make it into the UEFA Europa League, we need to take it seriously and win it.

We need to win a domestic trophy as well but let's not run before we can walk, one trophy to start with, domestic or European.

While all the experts, Twitter experts and fans will tell you we are a million miles from being good enough to win a trophy, I take an alternative view.

I don't think we are a million miles away.

It takes a season to learn a new system to a point where you are challenging for a top four place. During that time it can be painful to watch. Liverpool went through the same thing when Brendan Rodgers changed their style.

The following season they were challenging for the title and a Steven Gerrard slip blew their chances.

Tottenham reached the UEFA Champions League final last season with largely this squad so the squad is capable of challenging.

Once our players learn and master Mourinho's requirements, then we will be a force to be reckoned with.

The league table since Mourinho arrived has us in 4th place and yet we still have a lot of improving to do. With motivated players we will be successfully challenging for the top four I believe.

That's my prediction.

Have a great day folks, back to work on the herb planter today.