Vertonghen and Smalling


Vertonghen and Smalling



Another month ans Jan Vertonghen will be off and it looks like Italian clubs will be the destination as money is talking and they can pay more than Ajax.

I told you all last summer he wouldn't be signing an extension, he wants a longer deal than one year and the Italians are offering 2 or 3 years.

Inter Milan, Napoli, Fiorentina and Roma are challenging Ajax for the 33-year-old (34 next April) centre-backs signature along with Real Betis who have offered him a two-year deal, with £60,000-a-week.

He would prefer a 3-year deal for security but they are the ballpark wages he accepts now that clubs willpay.

His performances this season have been poor which only once again goes to show that a player who is committed to a club puts in a lower level of performance than they would normally because their brain is mentally elsewhere.

You can't just switch it and say OK I'm picked I must perform at my top level, the brain doesn't work like that, your subconscious will usually hold you back and prevent peak performance.

Vertonghen is open to any offers his agent said and he himself spoke to VRT which is a radio and TV organisation in Belgium.

"Right now, I'm trying to figure out what am I going to do. I need to take a piece of paper, write down pros and cons of the options soon to turn up. I'm going to settle down in about three years, and choose the place I'm going to dwell in permanently.

"In the meantime, I must decide what I want to do, which culture I want to experience, which language I want to learn. And, most of all, which titles I want to try winning. I don't want to regret anything".

Jose Mourinho is still considering bring Chris Smalling back to the Premier League from Roma, where he has been on loan from Manchester United.

The two clubs still haven't agreed a fee, they are £2.7m (€3m - AUS$5m - US$3.33m) apart but I hear José Mourinho is taking more and more of an interest in him.

They expect to reach an agreement imminently though which will keep him there until the end of the season.

All current loan deals end Tuesday 30th June, when the season will not be finished, apart from deals running into next season like or own for Gedson Fernandez.

Smalling is from Medway, Kent, indeed I played cricket with him.  I was his captain, he opened the bowling for me.

He is 30 years old now (31 in November) so a move to Spurs could bring him back to the county he grew up in and all that entails.

He is homegrown, has experience at the highest level, has won things and would provide experience for young centre-backs like Japhet Tanganga to learn from.

COYS
Recent THBN Articles

Description