Is Pato staying in Brazil?


Pato staying in Brazil?


Reported Tottenham target Alexandre Pato is staying in Brazil it seems after Sao Paulo president said he will take Corinthians to court if they accept an offer less than £14.52-million (€20m) .

An outlet in Brazil, UOL Esporte, has confirmed the story I brought you on 18 August (Spurs interested in 25yo Brazilian) that Tottenham had made enquiries for Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato.

Pato is under contract to Corinthians, but they do not want him, indeed I revealed yesterday that their president admitted they made a mistake signing him (Corinthians President - Signing Pato was a mistake). You could say he is their Emmanuel Adebayor. He is on loan at Sao Paulo until the end of December and under contract to Corinthians until the end of Jun 2016, however, Corinthians haven't paid his image rights for months.

Officially Licensed Tottenham Products at the Football-shop.net
All OFFICIALLY LICENSED Products

The Brazilians need to sell him to get any sort of income for him and it seems a loan at Sao Paulo won't stop that in the way it would over here. The reports in Brazil have suggested that Sao Paulo can't afford him although he is keen to stay at his hometown club.

In addition, Pato has demanded his contract be terminated due to lack of payment of image rights, which Corinthians dispute, claiming he sold then when he was 17 to an English company. Clearly it is a complex situation especially when you take into account the fact that the club don't own all his image rights.

As always with potential transfers a player can not give the definitive answers that perhaps fans want, as the old cliche says anything can happen. Sao Paulo beat Ponte Preta 3-0 at the weekend and he was asked after the game whether he would be staying at Sao Paulo. While he didn't score he provided an assist from the left and was the best player on the field. For another goal he dribbled past 2 defenders and had a shot that was saved, Ganso scored from the rebound. I'll leave the quotes simply translated, you still pick up the gist of the messages.

"I do not know, I have today, tomorrow we'll see what happens. We'll see Monday. I have to see. My manager will come here I will talk to him. And I have to sit, has to study. I want to stay, but not up to me. I'll see this weekend and would not be legal end like this. The trend is to stay, but do not know what will happen. My desire is to stay, but not entirely up to me. Tomorrow I'll sit back and see what happens. My will is to stay."

Discussions with Tottenham have taken place and the Sao Paulo coach, Juan Carlos Osorio, revealed to the press that he was disappointed he hadn't been informed.

"If it is going to be a shame. I was not informed [of Tottenham talks]. I believe we have a good working relationship, but it is a reality. Alexandre is, in my opinion, the best striker of the Brazilian soccer in Brazil. I think this is impossible who do not receive offers. On the contrary, I think it's hard to understand that still play here in Brazilian football and the SP, because it belongs to the Corinthians and surely the Corinthians do not want our cast has this highlight"

Ataide Gil Guerreiro is the vice-president of football at Sao Paulo and he is none the wiser it seems.

"Today I talked to both [Alexandre Pato and Gilmar Veloz, agent] and have nothing. Who is trying is Kia Joorabchian. In England, the window wins 1st, and how public holiday 31, there's still time there. Until this morning, when I spoke to them, had absolutely nothing."

There are plenty of issues around Pato but injuries are not one of them, he hasn't had a serious injury since the one at AC Milan. If anyone can work around his legal issues we can. Clearly Sao Paulo don't want to lose him and equally clearly Corinthians want to sell him. We'll see what happens, but the reports suggest he is a rejuvenated player and may be well worth signing.

Further Tottenham Reading
Points from the Everton game
Stadium Competition
Lennon to West Ham or Everton before the window closes
Arsenal and Chelsea fixture problem for Spurs