Where would we be without Chadli's goals

Nacer Chadli has suggested Tottenham are still recovering from the sale of Gareth Bale last summer.


Where would we be without Chadli's goals


It is hardly surprising when you consider he stayed for an extra year and was a one man team papering over the cracks. Those cracks were supposed to be rectified by reinvesting the Bale money in the team, bringing in seven new signings.

The summer seven have been flops, with only Christian Eriksen producing a couple of months of football under Tim Sherwood and Nacer Chadli popping up with six goals in 10 games, although he produces inconsistent performances. That may partly be down to the troubles around him but without his goals it's frightening to think where Tottenham might be sitting in the table. As it is we are only five points off relegation and are playing like a relegation team.


“I feel like the ghost of Bale is still present at Tottenham. That’s not strange when you look at how much he meant to the club and the fans. It’s not easy to replace him.  
 " I am physically and mentally stronger than last year. At the time, I had to get used to my new team and I suffered many injuries. This summer, I made ​​cleared my head in Italy. 
"After that I made ​​an excellent preparation. As the coach trusted me directly, it did my morale a world of good. I do not know if I'm in the best shape of my career. During my last season at Twente, I also delivered strong performances."

It's clear there are huge problems, the players bought are not bad players but Tim Sherwood suggested there are too many players who feel they are doing the club a favour by playing for them, in other words they think they are bigger than the club.

Mauricio Pochettino was charged with getting the best out of them but that clearly isn't going to happen, they are not interested in working hard to improve but simply to play their way in their comfort zones. The result will be a clear out and start again. If the players think the manager will be leaving and they'll get their way under someone else then they have another think coming.

Pochettino won't be going anywhere and it's these 'stars' will be leaving the club, assuming someone will pay us a decent transfer fee for their services. That may be a little more difficult though as every club knows we must sell so will be looking for a bargain. Our purchases and transfer speculation suggests we are looking for players who want to play here, who want to fight for the club and not just play for themselves. 

It seems as if we are going to spurn the big money stars who have flopped for us and buy players who are prepared to play in the way the manager wants. If they do they'll improve as players in the way the Southampton players did. 

That can only be achieved if we buy the players with the right mentality, the right attitude which is the single biggest challenge the club faces right now.