The Pat Jennings comments

Brian Moore in commentary, "that deflection looked as though it might have had Pat Jennings in trouble, all I can say is we should have known better."


Intense Debate deletes comments automatically, don't ask me why it's designed to do this, I don't know and as it has deleted comments surrounding the great Pat Jennings it's a good excuse to reproduce them for you here as I do have copies.

It's always good to hear peoples reminisces from a different era, I would argue a better era.

sheikh352 commentedPat wanted the Club to help get him a loan to buy or build a house. The Club declined and so off he went to the Gooners. Unlike Sol Campbell, Pat went with the love and gratitude of every Tottenham supporter. I was thrilled to see him in action, once again, at the Cyril Knowles Memorial Match, which pitted the 1971 League Cup Winning Side against the 1981 FA Cup side. After Jimmy Greaves (or maybe equal to him) Pat is my favourite ever Spurs player. How good a keeper was he? Well, I remember Gordon Banks being interviewed, when he answered that question. He said "I'm so lucky that Pat Jennings is Irish. If he had been English, I'd have been lucky to win a dozen caps for my country." 

Incidentally, I saw the wages book entry when Pat got his first win bonus. It was ONE POUND.

The league was blessed with two outstanding and truly world class, a phrase greatly overused, keepers who we were fortunate to witness. It's very hard to pick a favourite from so many great players, do well generally pick from impressionable teenage years? Jennings, Perryman, Hoddle, that era produced so many favourites.

al granville commentedYou've taken the words out of my mouth David. Ted was Banks,Shilton,Clemence rolled into one, with one hand tied behind his back. Hyperbole? probably, and of course I was a hero worshipping snotty nosed kid but still I persist in thinking Ted was the greatest of them all. Remember his great rivalry with Bert Williams of Wolves?

You'll find David's comments on Ted Ditchburn at the bottom of the article, before my time alas.


Cheshuntboy commentedJennings without a second's doubt - Lloris is certainly a great shot stopper, but his distribution is poor, and some of his reckless rushes out of the area are suicidal (how did he get away with hacking down Ashley Young at Old Trafford last year?). I'd rate Eric Thorsvedt as our second best keeper, and will wait to see if Lloris is still with us in a year or two before deciding whether he deserves third place. 

I'd have to agree with you about Lloris's distribution, although it has been getting better there is still plenty of room for improvement.


adelaide spur commentedpat never wanted to leave though. The Spurs hierarchy thought he was past his best when IMO he was still the best in the world. Replaced him Barry Daines. Genius decision.NOT

Barry Daines was going to have a tough job following Pat, mind you so would anyone else. I doubt he's on the list of many a fans favourite players.


Joe the Yid commentedI saw big Pat make a save at Ipswich Town away that was identical to the Gordon Banks save he made in the WC against Brazil in 1970..... PJ is a THFC ledge...... HL is a top cat and I can only hope that DL's ambition matches all our expectations other than that he will be only remembered as one of the best GK's in the world who once had a spell at THFC...... 

Tough times for us right now with a stadium to build, budget buying may be the order of the day for a while until the stadium starts paying for itself.


graham commentedPat was the best keeper of all time IMO . I have never seen a better keeper including Banks , Schmeichel - he is the best there has ever been . I did not see Ted and I know this splits people but my Dad who did felt Pat was the better of the 2 . 

I'd certainly side with you on that one Graham, never saw Ted so have to nail myself to the Pat mast. I think the look on Alan Balls face on the video is priceless, the disbelief Jennings saved it, today that would be almost a planned holding the head reaction for the TV cameras and the crowd.


tony commentedcant comment on ditchburn.pat was excellent goaly.never dived at players feet headfirst.he was feet first.dont think from what ive seen anybody was quite up to lloris in ability.dont forget pat went to arsenal.quite a unforgivable thing.

I don't know any fan who blamed Pat, all though the club were wrong to let him go, it was different back then wasn't it, loyalty had a place then.


terry commentedwell said i watched spurs in there hayday when pat was way ahead of any keeper in uk at that time tottenham need more legends which is not possible in todays billionare club football the greats we had will always be remembered the j greaves the dave makays the jones and dyson s and the great john white to name a few glad i saw glad to of had the pleasure to see the best that we had and remember how great spurs where maybe it will return again probabley under new ownership until then come on you spurs

Anon commentedPat Jennings for me, never bettered anywhere by anyone. Never big headed or mouthy just brilliance combined with humility. 

chris commentedDon't dare compare lloris to jennings, jennings is one of, if not the best goalkeeper of all time 

No arguments from me Chris.


Tony Corbey commentedPat Jennings without doubt the greatest goalkeeper to wear the Tottenham shirt.In my lifetime I've seen Ted Ditchburn Bill Brown Ray Clements and Eric Thoresvedt and Hugo Lloris.These five would walk into most teams but big Pat was a class above them for his unique ability to pull a save out of no where and this is why his appearance record is unlikely to be equalled.He is therefore the greatest of the great and probably in the top four qof all time goal keepers with Banks Yashin and Zoff. 

adelaide spur commentedHugo Lloris is a great keeper but IMO Pat Jennings is, and always will be the greatest keeper we have ever had. I was devastated when we sold him, especially to The Gooners. Living legend, secondly only to God, AKA Jimmy Greaves 

Jimmy a great yes but a fraction before my teenage viewing time in the 70's. Seen plenty of him of course and how we could do with someone like that now, or today's equivalent.


Strides commentedI have been told by many, inc Terry Venables, that Ditchburn was the best but, for what I've seen Pat had it all, When if Lloris stays for 3 or 4 more years who knows, remember though, IMHO Pat had a better back four than Lloris 

Ah yes the Chiriches factor, defends like Inspector Clouseau without the success rate.


david g commentedAnyone who saw TED DITCHBURN in the fifties would know that he was the best keeper spurs have ever had Pat was and Hugo is a very good stopper but believe me Ted was exceptional and an icon. 

Now personally I never saw Ted Ditchburn play so am in no position to comment just as the young today don't know much about our hero Pat Jennings.

It's been a pleasure to read your comments and reminisce about visits to The Lane to watch him and the boys, be reminded Yashn or Dino Zoff and a £1 win bonus. How times have changed.

If you have any more reminisces do leave them, I'll see them and can always reproduce more so a new audience can read them. I have permission to use further videos so we'll take a look at some more hero's in due course.