VIDEO - Defoe does it again, goal No. 8

Jermain Defoe once again showed Roy Hodgson it was a mistake not to take him to the World Cup where England missed most of their chances and had their worst World Cup in history.

Defoe does it again, goal No. 8


After Harry Redknapp's publicity seeking comments Defoe came out to clear the slur his former manager had put against his name.

"I’ve always been available for England and not once pulled out of a squad when I’m not injured.

"Playing for my country has been the pinnacle of my career.

"When Roy Hodgson rang me to say I was not in the squad this summer, it was the most devastating news I’d ever received.

"I still want to play for my country because all I have ever done is score goals and, if called upon, I will be on a plane to play for England."

Jermain Defoe has a hunger for scoring goals so mush so that he nearly came to blows with his teammate Gilberto over who should take a free-kick. The Brazilian won the argument and promptly put the ball in the top of the net leaving Defoe to laugh embarrassingly.

Recent Stories:
£8m Ben Davies bid - Rose v Davies comparison
£8m Davies bid - Davies v Rose comparison
Suárez, O'Hara, Caulker, Cambiasso, Lovren & Bentaleb
Confirmed - Spurs to keep Lamela
The significance of the West Ham wall fiasco
Tottenham agree new partnership 


But Defoe wasn't outdone, he had already notched his 8th goal in 9 games to equalizer in the 55th minute. He hit a beautiful one-touch finish past the New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles before Gilberto scored his first goal in 9 games from the free-kick.

Those two strikes weren't enough to secure Toronto FC victory however as Bradley Wright-Phillips netted a 93rd minute equalizer.




Defoe's 8 strikes have come in 782 minutes of football and from just 29 shots. He also has an assist to his name. An amazing 14 of his 29 shots have been on target.

If only the inadequate Roy Hodgson had taken him to the World Cup England might still be in the tournament instead of wasting a selection on Ricky Lambert and leaving him sitting on the bench for all but 5 minutes!