Teddy Sheringham - I'd have taken Defoe

Teddy Sheringham MBE is the new attacking coach at West Ham but will always be fondly remembered by Tottenham fans after spending two spells at the club, 1992 - 97 and 2001 - 03.

He scored 98 goals in 236 games for Spurs and 11 goals in 51 games for England, often being the provider for Shearer. He didn't have pace but he had a pace of brain few could match. He was asked his thoughts on England's chances in Brazil.

"I think it's tough one I think. Going out to play in Brazil, I've played there myself, it's a funny type of grass, the humidity is going to be very difficult to play in, it's going to be very warm as well.

"It's all stacked against us. We're playing against South American teams, Uruguay is going to be a tough one and the Italians ain't going to be easy either so it will be interesting to see how we get on.

"If we perform to the best of our capabilities then we've got a chance but we've got to do that."

He was asked if lower expectation levels will help England going into such a big tournament this time.

"Maybe, maybe. Let's hope so eh, we'll keep our fingers crossed."

Sheringham was part of the 1996 partnership dubbed the 'SAS' Shearer and Sheringham. He was asked if it was key to England's chances that the current partnership of Wayne Rooney and Daniel Sturridge have to stay fit?

"They do, they are our first choice pairing I would think from now, but I also like Ricky Lambert as well. I think he's an outstanding player and he gives something to a team when he plays so I'm sure he'll get a chance at some stage."

He was pragmatic when asked what did he made of the squad, it is what it is.

"Yes, it's our best players, there might have been one or two who missed out. I think I would have taken Defoe to be honest but he's not it it, Roy's made the decision that's it."

The interviewer suggested Ashley Cole is the other big talking point.

"Yes I suppose so yes, but he probably knows Luke Shaw more than what we do and he's probably seen him a lot and if he knows he can do a good job for England then that's great. Iv'e not seen enough of him to comment at the moment."

Recent Stories:
Paulinho, Song & Brazil v Croatia video highlights
Spain 1 Holland 5 Video Highlights
Banega, Van der Vaart, Crouch, Morata
David Bentley retires at 29 in tears
Spurs consider another Argentinian midfielder