Loanee Grant Ward grabs his first goal

Grant Ward is enjoying his lean spell at Chicago Fire in the MLS.

Loanee Grant Ward grabs his first goal


The 19 year-old defender who has been developing as a left-sided attacking full-back at Tottenham extended his loan spell for the Major League Soccer side until the end of 2014.

Recent Stories:
Tim Krul not replacing Hugo Lloris
Are Tottenham about to sign another Croatian playmaker
Bitesize News - Punter wins £1,680 after Suárez snack
Javier Hernández the back-up option to Lukaku

Selling Dawson turns Spurs into a club for mercenaries
Belgians keen to work with Pochettino
Bentaleb silencing Spurs critics


He is now celebrating his first senior goal, having scored in Chicago Fire's victory over the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

“I’m really enjoying it here. I went on as a sub against Columbus Crew for my debut and it was a great experience, but I’d probably say my favourite moment so far was last week in the US Open Cup because of the goal I scored.

“I had been looking forward to playing because I was out with a foot injury for a while, so to get the chance to play in the different stadiums in front of all the fans in the top league in America is a great opportunity for me. Hopefully I can push on and get some more goals now."

He has been playing in midfield for the Fire and has started the last four games for them.

“I’ve been playing on the right wing but the coach doesn’t mind me coming inside. I can play in midfield as well and sometimes I’ll tuck in so the full-back has space around the outside.

“We try and keep the ball on the floor and it’s like the Tottenham style in the way we try and play.

“Being here is an achievement for me early in my career and now I’ll try and push on. I was very happy to get my first goal last week. It gets you up and running and hopefully I can get a few more now."

It's surprising he didn't know there was a lot of travelling in the MLS as he reveals and enjoyed his first experience against former Spurs player Robbie Keane.

“It was a good experience to play against players like Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane when we played Galaxy.

“We do spend a lot of time travelling around, though. I didn’t know this to begin with, but we travel to all the away games on flights. There are no games that are close enough that you can take a bus or a coach so that means you spend a lot of time travelling by plane.”