Swindon Spurs links growing stronger?

League One side Swindon Town, not content with 6 former or present Spurs players, are arranging for another one to join them for the beginning of the new campaign.

This time they are after attacking midfielder Ryan Mason. The two clubs are in negotiations for Swindon to take the 22 year-old England Under 20 international on a season long loan for. Another England Under 20 international, striker Jonathan Obika has also been recently linked with the club who are hoping they can finish better than the twenty first position they ended last season in.

Will having so many players who have played together for so long be of benefit to them and will it benefit the Spurs youngsters before returning to their parent club, you would hope so.

Swindon have built up a close working relationship with Spurs through Tim Sherwood and the appointment of a new Director Lee Power will only strengthen that.

Names linked to the vacant managers position there include Glenn Hoddle, Tim Sherwood, Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsay.

Swindon are going on a pre-season trip to Portugal, which will be the third year in succession Nathan Byrne has enjoyed pre-season Portuguese sun. For the past two years he has been with Tottenham there so it is becoming quite a home from home for him.

After impressing in his first two games the free transfer purchase from Spurs has been talking to the local Swindon Advertiser.

“I’ve been there for the last two seasons with Tottenham reserves. I’m happy to see a bit more sun before it starts raining again in England, because I think everyone is in a bit of a dream at the moment with the weather we’re getting.

“Hopefully we can play a couple of games out there and be ready for the season to start.

“I think it’s about getting away for a bit. Obviously doing tough runs and working hard in England is good but if you can get away to a different environment, different heat, different climate it will help us work better.

“I think it’s about getting away. It’s no different to what we’re doing here but just over there.

“I keep bumping into them [Spurs players]. I can’t complain. They’re great players, top class players so I can’t complain about who we’re playing against.”

With the new term just a fortnight away, the defender is feeling good in himself.

“Obviously I came in late to training - I came in about two-and-a-half weeks late - so I’ve been doing a bit of catch-up,” he said. “I’m feeling strong, I’m feeling good - I’m really happy I’ve got through it.”




Subscribe to THBN