Can we start to believe?

Do the players believe?
After our superb win on Tuesday, BBC Fivelive commentator and presenter, Darren Fletcher, made the following statement:

"I truly believe that after tonight's amazing win against the European Champions, these Tottenham Hotspur players can begin to believe that they are good enough, not only in progressing further in the Champions League, but also believing in themselves so as to take this form into their Premier League fixtures. These players have come of age."

I do hope he's right. The word "hope" has to come into it, for as all die hard Spurs fans know and realise, our beloved club has a way of coming back and biting us in the unmentionables.

Fortunately, Luka Modric doesn't see it my way.

"They will look at us more seriously than before. Maybe they didn’t take us so seriously before. But after the games against Inter Milan and FC Twente I think they have to look at us differently. I said after Twente that we can play with anyone in Europe and we showed that against the champions. We need to be proud but also need to keep going like this and progress in our game and we should be fine. Our main target before was to go through in the group and we are close to that now."

Being Spurs through and through, I have always believed, much to the entertainment of my fellow Arsenal loving friends. When we signed Jurgen Klinsmann, I believed. Before 'Lasagna-Gate', I believed. When we beat City up at Eastlands last season, I still believed.

Thing is, Darren Fletcher has hit the nail on the head. It doesn't matter if we, as supporters, believe. It's the belief of the players that counts. I hope they can take a step back and say to themselves, "We have just beaten the Champions League holders. We can accomplish anything".

Talking about Tuesday's game, I think we shouldn't get too carried away. Gareth Bale played amazingly well, but instead of giving him all the credit, I think some has to go to Rafael Benitez. The Spanish waiter experienced what Bale had done to them in the previous game, therefore, one would have thought that Benitez, apparently being a statistic guru, would have prepared his side so as not to grant Gareth the time and space needed for him to flourish. Fortunately for us, that never happened. Forget there being a taxi for the apparent amazing Brazilian right-back, Hasan's Tottenham Minicab Service would have been sufficient for Maicon.

Next up; Bolton away at the Reebok on Saturday. Can we wear the Investec shirts for that one guv?




Subscribe to THBN

Read our latest Evening Standard Blog


Have you got an iPod or mp3 player? If you love listening to audiobooks, click here....

Big Chiv: My Goals in Life - Get it now!