Why this Monday morning is so special

Why is today, a Monday, so special? Well, it's not just the fact that we won our opening day fixture, but because we beat Liverpool.

Now, I've got nothing personally against Liverpool, or should I say, I didn't until Friday. You see, on Friday, a heated discussion broke out with one Liverpool fan in particular within the office. Another Liverpool fan was also present and is actually from Liverpool.

Below are some bits of how the conversation went;

Original Scouse: "We play your Tottenham on Sunday".

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "Yeah, you lot are going to get stuffed". He said this with a smirk on greasy face.

Jaymes: "Well, I wouldn't be so sure of that, you see....."

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "You what? Were you about to say that your team have even the slightest chance in hell of getting a result against us? You must be dreaming mate. You lot are rubbish. You are always thinking that you're such a big club, yet you've won nothing and will never win anything."

Jaymes: "Well, actually, I was going to say that it's going to be a good game and I have a feeling that it'll be a score-draw".

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "Score-draw, against you lot, you've got to be f*cking joking mate. Don't you realise that you support a two-bit side?"

Now, it was at this moment that I wanted to ask him if he was a West Ham fan, posing as a Liverpool fan, but thought it best not to for when dealing with non-intellectuals, it's best to keep your cool and let them get whatever it is that's wrong with them, off their chest.

Original Scouse: "I think it'll be a close game, but we'll just be too strong for you and win it either 1-0 or 2-1".

Jaymes: "Fair enough, but can I ask why you think you'll be too strong for us?"

London-Based Liverpool Fan: (Butting in like a complete tool) "Because we're better than you, end of! How many leagues have you won? How many European Cups have you won? We all know the answer to that and so don't try and say anything."

Jaymes: "I only ask because you've lost your midfield player, Alonso and if I'm not mistaken, you've replaced him with a player that won't be fit for 4 to 6 weeks and he doesn't have any Premier League experience."

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "We've sold Alonso?" (looking over at the other, much more respectable Liverpool fan)

Jaymes: "Yes. He signed for Real Madrid. Just as a matter of me being curious, how on earth did you miss the fact that you sold Alonso?"

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "It doesn't matter that we've sold Alonso, we're still much stronger and better than you lot".

Jaymes: "Fair enough. I will add though, that without Alonso, I can see you struggling this year..."

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "You're off your f*cking head if you think we won't be in the top 2 by the end of season?"

Jaymes: "Unless you can strengthen your squad, I can't see you mounting a proper challenge. Anyway, I've got to get on now. We'll discuss this again on Monday."

Spurs 2-1 Liverpool

Shots on Target: Spurs 7 Liverpool 3
Shots off Target: Spurs 7 Liverpool 4
Possession: Spurs 47.3% Liverpool 52.7%

Sounds like a pretty even game based on the possession front, but in reality, we deserved to win the game.

After the game ended, all I could think of was how good all the Spurs fans that had watched the game felt. The excitement, joy and adrenaline at the time was fantastic! I also had the added bonus of going to work and finalising the conversation with the London-based Liverpool fan. What joy!

Today's Morning Conversation

Jaymes: (Patting the London-based Liverpool fan on the back) "So then, you were saying?" (Of course, I had the biggest grin plastered on my face).

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "You lot were lucky. We should have had another penalty and that would have tied the game. We completely outplayed you. You lot were completely hopeless and won't finish anywhere near the top 4, let alone the top 10!"

Jaymes: "I'm sorry, were you actually watching the same game as everyone else? If so, then it's obvious that you need your eyes checked".

London-Based Liverpool Fan: "Eyes checked? It's you and your stupid fans that need to go to Specsavers. We'll get it right and finish the season much higher than you!"

Jaymes: "I'll go to Specsavers, only if you promise that you'll seek professional psychiatric help?"

With that, I left. This type of fan exists in all walks of life. I've never met a Liverpool fan that didn't understand this beautiful game. I suppose there's a first time for everything. Mind you, he was a London-based Liverpool fan.

I'm not saying that we'll finish above Liverpool, but I'm not saying that it would be an impossible feat either. I'm a realist. The chances of us breaking into the top 4 are near on impossible, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to crack it.

As I've said before in previous articles, I think we have a squad and management team that's capable of getting into a 5th or 6th spot.

Liverpool will be fine to. They've got a great manager and team, although they should be looking to add to their squad if possible. Based on their current squad, I don't think they'll be strong enough to win the Premier League, although they definitely will be there, or thereabouts.

The joy of beating them is still buzzing through me. What a Monday! Let's hope this continues against Hull.

It's a shame; there aren't any Hull fans in the office. Plenty of West Ham fans though. When do we play them?