Forget Arshavin! Ask the Wizard for a Heart!

Article Submitted by Claire Walsh-Thompson

Since the defeat against Boro last Saturday, I, like many other Spurs fans, have been scouring the net for views and reviews of the game. Living in New Zealand means that getting to actually go to White Hart Lane can prove fairly challenging. Therefore, I follow my team in the only way I can; by using the net to read reviews and other fans comments.

I am totally against reading what so-called ITK's (In The Know; meaning someone who reckons he/she knows what's going on at the club) have to say. I like conversing with my fellow Spurs fans and listening and adding to their views.

What has been going around for the past month is that Juande Ramos is deeply keen on signing Andrei Arshavin. Parallel to us attempting to sign Arshavin, the majority of fans have been crying out for a centre-half and/or a defensive midfielder.

I do believe that Ledley King will never recover fully from his injured knee. That leaves just Woodgate (who I think is one of the best three centre-halves in the country at the moment) to take on all the pressure at the heart of our defence. I feel that the majority of us can see that Michael Dawson, who is a rock when playing with King, is not the man for the job, even though he has heart. Unfortunately, having only heart won't win you the Premier League title.

I back every player that wears the Tottenham shirt, however, I do like to voice my opinion also.

Making Jermaine Jenas the clubs' vice-captain (or captain, as I can't see King playing much of a part this season) in my opinion, was the wrong move. Jenas has the quality to become a superb player, after all, we saw glimpses of a what he can do last season. Something is definitely holding Jenas back. It's that "something" that will never allow Jenas to be fully loved by the fans and push him on to become a superb player and possibly a regular England International.

We have needed a defensive midfielder for a while now, but we have lacked a midfielder with a commanding personality for more than a decade. A midfielder that can take his team-mates by the scruff of the neck and bullishly pull them through a match.

Until we have a figure in the centre of the park; a player that is abounding with desire, passion, ambition and above all, a heart that can spark every other players heart into action, we may hit some highs, but we won't be able to compete with the famous top four.