Play The Way You're Facing

By Sam Mollison
For THBN

I woke up yesterday morning astonished at the article upload and the comments total that followed. Thinking wow, maybe I AM MAKING A DIFFRENCE BY ENTERING THE WEBLOG NATION. Yeah, whatever!

I made the choice of scrolling backwards and read some utter BS from people who are obviouslyArsenal supporters.

Comments from people like “Top Yid”, “ManicSpur” and “Rackny” are what I am all about but when we lower ourselves to respond to the anonymous dross that can’t even show who they are or individuals that have names like “Reidssafatyock”, it takes me to a position that reminds me of one of the age old sayings in the universal footie coaching book, PLAY THE WAY YOU’RE FACING.

Meaning, don’t let these idiots wind you up and suck you in. Ignore their pathetic bum holes and communicate with people who really care about Yidland. Stay positive and work towards a future that has THFC amongst the elite…

Let me tell you about my passion and why I am a Spurs supporter first and foremost before I am even a parent.

I was born in Hackney east London in 1966. As a pre-teen you either supported Armpit, West Sham, Orient or Spurs. When Spurs got relegated in 1977 things changed dramatically for a lot of football followers.

My Best two friends were Mark O’Sullivan and Gary Harris at the time. We had all just moved up to secondary school to Hackney Downs (yeah, the roughest, toughest closed down school in the country) from Baden Powell primary School in Clapton. In primary school, we all supported Spurs. Sang loud, sang proud and as O’Sullivan was the school bully, we enjoyed the lions share of protection and the right to playground dominance.

Well, relegation apparently change all that.

When we were able to get together after all the new school formalities, O’Sullivann corrected me on a release of our normal expression towards Spurs by telling me that he no longer supported Spurs as “he goes where Pat Jennings goes. Gary Harris had a boyhood friend named Kevin who recently moved to Archway and that is why he now supported Arsewipe.

Look, this was the single most devastating occurrence since my Mum and dad said “see ya”’ in the winter of 74 so I was pissed and let down, but never fail, Gary’s brother Roy, 5 years older persuaded me to hold my corner and stick not twist. Turncoats were scum that was that bro or no bro. We came up the next season and Roy Harris promised me that he would sneak me into White Hart Lane because of my loyalty. The turncoat issue instilled a worth and purpose into me that couldn’t be shaken. Thank god.

We drew 1-1 with Forest the first game, Villa scoring at the city ground. Thrashed 4-1 by Aston Villa at home and 2-2 with Chelsea at the lane. 7-0 at Liverpool soon after, gutted from Clapton.

My first game at the Lane was against Bristol City and we finally won via an own goal from a Peter Taylor’s through ball that defender Rogers passed into his own net.

I remember 55, 000 fans in the ground with the old West stand just about standing. Park lane boys taking the piss, Paxton boys re-filling their flasks and Shelf side boys trying to get into the Park Lane with songs that sounded straight up wrong but funny.

I can remember the smell of cigar smoke and the effort to try and tip toe to see what was going on in the game. John Lacy, Barry Daines, Gerry Armstrong, Peter Taylor, Terry Naylor and Steve Perryman just to name a few and thinking, heroes one and all. HEROES ONE AND ALL.

I live in Orlando Florida now. My last game at White Hart Lane was Spurs vs Southampton in the FA CUP 94 (I think). Gordon Durie giving us the chance to play them at their place whilst watching from the West stand.

In between Bristol City and that game, I was fortunate to see Hoddle blast a shot past Shilton from 28 yards in 79. Ossie scored against United when Glenn was in goal. Spurs beat Wolves in the FA cup semi-final at Highbury. Spurs beat Man City after having gone through two finals at Wembley. The side of 82 which was two minutes from winning the domestic cup double with Ronnie Whelan posing ball bags in the Milk cup of 82 with a rifle shot and Souness putting a boot up Villa’s ass. Roberts lifting the UEFA cup 84. Mark Falco missing a header against Everton, which cost us a Championship in 85. Gazza’s debut against Armpit in 88 3-2. FACUP 91…

Let’s forget the 14 years after that.

What I am trying to say is I have never waivered from my support of Tottemham. Because of my experience with turncoats, I have never swayed from the belief that Spurs are the best team on the planet. That’s why comments from the idiots make me realize that Arsenal supporters have infiltrated ourconversations. Why facilitate them. Don’t let them get under your skin and if you are a “Top Yid” you wouldn’t even acknowledge them. People like “Flying Scorpion” are just embarrassing because they have no tradition or understanding and I would like to show them what it’s all about but I don’t think I have the time.

The good people who have started this blog deserve better from us. Go back and read some of the BS and I am sorry for their efforts.

Andy Reid has one of the most cultured left foots in a generation and armpits are afraid of that. Look at pictures of Tony Galvin and then of Andy Reid. Reid has just us much pace if not more, and a cultured left foot, but I hear you bitching all day long. Pathetic…

Marney could be as good as Guti. Tianio is as good as Hleb, but will you idiots recognize that? Probably not.

Just play the way you are facing and that is upward and onward.

Ignore the idiots.


Molly