Spurs Make Another Bid For Johnson

By Jaymes Payten-Marsh
For THBN

Tottenham have reportedly made a second offer for Crystal Palace & England striker Andy Johnson.

Spurs have remained quiet over the saga, but Johnson has broken his silence. Crystal Palace are unwilling to let the player leave Selhurst Park, with the chairman, Jordan, slapping a £15 million price tag on him.

Johnson's desire to work his way into Sven Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad could see him walking away from Palace for considerably less than the current pricing tag as he has handed in an official transfer request.

Johnson said: "I must leave Palace. I believe my chances of going to Germany (2006 FIFA World Cup) would suffer significantly if I'm playing in the Championship and not in the Premiership. If I'm not proving myself week in, week out against the best players in the Premiership, how can the manager (Sven-Goran Eriksson) know whether I can prove myself against the best players in the world. This may not be what everybody at Palace wants to hear and I understand that. I know the fans will all be disappointed with my decision but I ask them to try to understand. If I stayed and missed out on my dream, I would be tortured by it forever. How could any true football person deny me this opportunity?"

If the reports of Spurs tabling a bid are true, then it seems as though the Tottenham manager, Jol, has done a u-turn on his tactics. Wanting to pair up a small pacey striker with a tall target man was his desired tactic used last season.

With Defoe the main striker at the club, the pairing of Johnson & Defoe would be a complete turnaround.