Spurs to open talk for Argentine centre-back


TRANSFER TALK


Back on 25 June I brought you news that we were eyeing an Argentinian centre-back and now it seems we are about to open talks with him over a potential move.

Article: Tottenham eyeing Argentinian centre-back

The player in question is 20-year-old (21 next January) right-footed Argentinian Under-20 international (he has 9 caps) central defender Juan Foyth.

The teenage Estudiantes (Club Estudiantes de La Plata situated in La Plata, a Buenos Aires province) defender has played just 4 games in the Argentine Primera División. He has revealed to Radio Continental that Tottenham want him and that he is set to have talks with us shortly.

"I found out about Tottenham's interest through social networks. I would like to play in Europe, if something comes up that convinces me and the club I will go. I know that my agent and Verón (President and former Manchester United midfielder Juan Sebastián Verón) are able to travel over the Tottenham issue. I am feeling relaxed, on the outside of things."

Roma have offered £5.69 million (€6.5m - AUS$9.61m - US$7.28m) for him and Zenit St Petersburg are interested in him also, but he said in the same radio interview that he would not be joining the Russian club. They have recently signed Argentinian winger Leandro Paredes and Argentinian striker Sebastian Driussi, two players Tottenham have been following.

"My agent never told me that an offer had arrived from Zenit. I would not go to Russia right now. If I do go it is not because I want to, but rather to help the club out economically."

Clearly we don't see his height as an issue, he is only 1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in) tall.

Toby Alderweireld and Kevin Wimmer are 1.87 m (6 ft 2 in), Jan Vertonghen is 1.89 m (6 ft 2 in), Eric Dier is 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in), Cameron Carter Vickers is 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in) and Ben Davies is 1.82 m (6 ft 0 in).