Spurs assessing Montpellier striker Mounie


TRANSFER TALK


On with yet another striker we are assessing and this time it is a striker playing in a struggling side, much like former Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe is doing at Sunderland.

Steve Hitchen, our new chief scout, is reported as having an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of French football and he is assessing the potential of 22-year-old (23 in September) Montpellier centre-forward Steve Mounie.

BREAKING NEWS: Lacazette has agreed to join Griezmann at Atletico Madrid

Montpellier are one of the poorest teams away from home in France, they sit 15th in the table after 30 games, having scored 43 and conceded 54 goals. Away from home they sit 19th having gained just 7 points from 15 games, scoring 18 goals and conceding 39.

The powerful right-footed striker is under contract until 2019 and has scored 13 Ligue 1 goals for his struggling side as well as 2 assists. Eight of those goals have come at home and five away. He is delighted with his first season in the league as he told The Ligue 1 Show on beIN Sports.

"It's a strange feeling when you look at the scoring charts and see yourself just behind Radamel Falcao and Edinson Cavani. They are players I used to watch on TV, and now I'm up there with them. 
"I have great spring, I can jump very high, my timing is good too and that allows me to win the high balls [He has won more headers than anyone in Ligue 1]. It's been that way since I was a kid, playing in youth teams. Now I am doing that on the biggest stage so it's good both for me and my team. 
"I'm selfish but generous too. I try to think about every move I make and that's what helps me score goals. I was aiming for double figures. Now that's done, everything is else is a bonus, the sky's the limit now!"

At 14 he was a defensive midfielder, now though goals are his stock in trade and we are taking a keen interest in him