The weekend is nearly upon us and our FA Cup quarter-final against Millwall for a semi-final place and a prize of £380,000 - that would pay Dele Alli's wages for 5 months.
He currently sits second in the table of midfield goalscorers, his tally of 13 in 26 games only bettered by Scott Sinclair at Celtic, where goalscoring is a little easier in the Scottish Premiership, with 15 goals in 24 games.
For those looking for an angle Dele Alli has only scored the first goal once this season but scored the last goal 6 times.
Midfilders Goalscoring Chart
- S. Sinclair (Celtic) 15 goals in 24 games (Scottish Premiership)
- D. Alli (Tottenham Hotspur) 13 goals in 26 games (Premier League)
- T. Ince (Derby County) 12 goals in 34 games (Championship)
- S. Mane (Liverpool) 12 goals in 24 games (Premier League)
- A. Knockeart (Brighton & Hove Albion) 11 goals in 34 games (Championship)
- E. Hazard (Chelsea) 10 goals in 25 games (Premier League)
- D. Edwards (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 9 goals in 31 games (Championship)
- S. Armstrong (Celtic) 9 goals in 21 games (Scottish Premiership)
- M. Ritchie (Newcastle United) 9 goals in 23 games (Championship)
A goal every 2 games for Dele Alli is not a bad return at all playing behind Harry Kane and shows his importance when you consider how highly rated Eden Hazard is. Tom Ince is of course a player we were very strongly linked with a few years back but his career hasn't hit the heights his Dad was suggesting it would with the price tag he was suggesting for him.
Not on that list but with 8 goals in 32 games is 23-year-old (24 next February) Norwich City winger Josh Murphy, who we have been linked with since last summer. With Erik Lamela disappearing from the first-team and Geroges-Kevin N'Koudou bought for the future we have a vacancy out wide, where we also sold Nacer Chadli and Alex Pritchard.
Gylfi Sigurdsson also has 8 goals, scored in 27 games for Swansea City this season. He didn't adapt to the wide role in the way Christian Eriksen did. While Eriksen has many assists to his name, goals are in a little shorter supply, especially as he hasn't scored from a free-kick for more than a year. Perhaps some extra training wouldn't go amiss.
Further THBN Reading
An FA Cup for the sponsors
Beg, did he really beg
Pep we have heard it all before
The future of Hugo Lloris
Harry Kane phenonimal
Problems with Pochettino mean Sissoko will leave
Marcus Edwards isn't ready to start against Millwall
There must be better value players than Wilfried Zaha
Over 700 Spurs articles at Tottenham Hotspur News