Trippier following the path of Danny Rose




Danny Rose was a left-winger who we converted to a left-back and what a success that has been. He has had to learn the role, going out on loan to Sunderland for a season and then playing with little assistance in front of him, making him look worse than he was.

Since Mauricio Pochetino has got hold of him and since the player in front of him, often Eriksen, now does their defensive duty in our system, he has become arguably the best left-back in the Premier League.

Kieran Trippier is following a similar path. He started out as a central midfielder, was moved to become a right winger at Manchester City who then decided he was a right-back. That led to a move to Burnley and playing time and then after his initial Premier League season, a move to Tottenham.

Now he is working with Mauricio Pochettino and, not for the first time this season, has provided goals for our strikers. His pass and his cross showed good awareness, vision, thought processes and technical ability to first play Harry Kane in and then to play the ball into a very dangerous area that resulted in Kane's second goal.

Back-up players often come in for stick from our fickle fans, but by and large he is a dependable understudy to Kyle Walker and his game is clearly improving. Trippier himself isn't interested in moving from White Hart Lane, he feels he is learning from the coaching staff and developing his game.

"Well I've practised since I was a young boy, practising crossing and set plays and stuff, so when I play I like to get as high up as I can and try to support the forwards. Luckily I've got two assists and I try to help whenever I'm called upon."

Mentally it can be very difficult if you are not playing, we saw Andros Townsend throw a strop because he wasn't, which was the end for him. Trippier has just got on with his work and done what every good professional with the right mindset does, he ensures he is ready when he gets a chance and does his best to take it. Play your role and try to make an impact at the same time, he certainly did that against Watford.

"I've had to wait and that's because Walks has been doing really well. That's why in training I keep myself match-fit and whenever you're called upon you need to be ready. 
"I've not played for a couple of weeks, so I thought it was important that I did well for the team and tried to set up a few, or just did my best. I thought I helped the team and it was a good three points. 
"I like playing in a 3-5-2 so I can get forward and get those early balls into the strikers. If it's a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or whatever formation it is, if I'm playing I'll make sure I try to do my best."

Kieran Trippier has given an interview to the Hertfordshire Mercury. Follow the link to read the full interview.





Over 200 Spurs articles available at Tottenham Hotspur News