Depay should have used Spurs as a stepping stone


Dutch winger Memphis Depay was advised to move to Tottenham before he signed a new contract with PSV and then joining Manchester United the following season by ex-Juventus Dutch forward Eljero Elia, now at Feyenoord. he spoke to Helden magazine and told them he advised Depay to join Spurs before moving to a club like United.

"I thought Memphis first had to make a stop, first choose a club like Tottenham Hotspur. United are so big, the pressure is so high. He had to immediately make an impact at such a club, while everyone would watch him. 
"Memphis accepted my opinion, but said, 'I’ll try to give my all and I’m confident that I can succeed there'."
He has not lived up to his price tag, which was too large for what he had achieved anyway. Manchester United were in a phase of overpaying for players at the time, simply throwing money at their problems, which hasn't worked. perhaps some of our chequebook fans should take note.