Lopez signed as part of a strategy


After Pau Lopez played another game for the Under-23 side there seems to be a lack of understanding surrounding our new third choice goalkeeper. He has come to Spurs to learn from one of the world's best in Hugo Lloris and from experienced Dutch international Michel Vorm.

The comics over at HITC, not known for their football acumen, suggest he was a panic buy! Pochettino had been tracking him and identified him as a potential future number one. We have been scouring the market for such a player, preparing and planning for the future. To suggest he is a panic buy suggest Pochettino hasn't a long-term plan and is making it up as he goes.

They suggest the signing is a waste of time for Lopez because he was number one at Espanyol, which isn't true. He was number one last season, he was not going to be number one this season, they bought a 30-year-old Spanish international to take over the number one slot and Lopez was told he would be number two.

At that point he chose to leave. he is a way short of being ready for top level first team action according to regular reports and he has come to Spurs to improve his game and potentially have a career path that makes him the number one keeper at a top club. That is a golden opportunity. It is having a career path, having a plan to follow, you get nowhere in life without a plan.

Fear of failure holds people back, if you don't ask that girl out someone else will. Fear has to be faced and taken on to succeed. Lopez is taking on that fear of failure and backing himself to prove to the club he should be signed permanently.

"Firstly, I would like to explain that it was my personal decision alone to leave the club. Manager Quique Sanchez Flores and the board reiterated me many times that they did not wish for me to leave, but I took the decision, as I considered it was the right time. 
"Secondly, as a personal decision, I had to consider which path I had to follow after some uncertain weeks. When (the Tottenham) door was opened I thought it was a good opportunity to keep my development as I believe it will enhance my professional career and allow me to give my best."

Far from a panic buy, it is a calculated one that is part of a strategy by player and club.