Sissoko: Everton deal a fantasy

TRANSFER TALK

Sissoko: Everton deal a fantasy

Laughably Everton owner Farhad Moshiri claiming the Merseyside club pulled out of a potential deal with Moussa Sissoko because it could have jeopardised James McCarthy's place in the team under new boss Ronald Koeman.

Of course he only did this after Sissoko had had a call from Tottenham to let him know he would be wanted after the club had failed to persuade Isco to leave Real Madrid. Once he knew Spurs were going to switch attention to him then there was never any doubt where he would sign. Without European football all Everton could offer was a regular starting berth while the French national boss wants his players playing European football.

Moussa Sissoko told French paper L'Equipe that he was never going to Everton.
"I never went to Everton. 
"It's funny. I was watching TV, and I saw that a deal had been done with Everton and that I had signed for them, but I was in London, waiting to sign my contract (with Tottenham).
"It is true that Wednesday was rather quick, and it happened in the last hours, but the bottom line is this is done, I have finalised my transfer to Tottenham. 
"I knew this club really wanted me. I trusted my agent to do the job from start to finish."
Sissoko supplies us with a box-to-box midfield backup player to Moussa Dembele. Tottenham have struggled when he hasn't been in the side, although the final games last season were because several players had given up rather than missing Dembele. The beginning of this season has seen us bring players fitness on during games so again too much can be read into his absence and has been read in some quarters.

As well as replacing Dembele when he needs a rest, he can play as an attacking central midfielder and as a wide attacker. He caught the eye for France, but he wasn't playing centrally for them. Clearly then he has the versatility that Pochettino likes, as well as the power and strength we have been lacking at times when Carroll was playing.