Walker and Dembele an example to all

Walker and Dembele an example to all


Kyle Walker in a recent interview expressed the comments that should be music to every Tottenham fans ears. He said he wants to be the best he can be.

“I’m probably my biggest critic. I’m a perfectionist. I want everything done right. When it’s not done right, I’m not happy. Ask my missus, she probably takes most of it. I want to improve, I want to be the best I can be. It’s a short career.”

Now that may not sound much to many, but just as Mousa dembele took responsibility last season, Walker is demonstrating the winning mentality we need and have needed at Tottenham. It isn't enough just to want to win games, you improve as a player by wanting to improve.

That sound daft I know, every player wants to improve don't they? Well, no, many simply go through the motions, Dembele is a prime example, coach after coach saw great things in him but they never came out until Pochtteino gave him the option by leaving him out last season. You either improve or you leave, Dembele to his credit came out and said it was his responsibility he wasn''t playing and he did something about it. I think we would all agree he is now playing the best football in his time at Spurs, he has to maintain the standard to keep others out.

Walker says he is his own worst critic and hates getting things wrong, he too has had to pull his socks up as it were, after his injury gave him time to assess his future. he is not longer a kid, at 25 he is an experienced Premier League footballer now and his game has improved this year too. That comes through making a mental shift and having the internal motivation to want to improve, then you do what it takes to improve. Players like that improve faster than players who are relying on omeone else to improve them and are just doing as they are told.

“At the start it was horrible. Horrible. When you reach the first team as a professional, it’s kind of like, ‘If you want go and do gym, do gym. If you don’t, you don’t have to’. But when he came in, gym was compulsory.”

You can see it throughout the team, Vertonghen has returned to his best, Rose, mason, Alli, Kane, lamela, Eriksen, Dier, the list goes on. Whoever joins this summer will have to have the same mentality or they won't survive.

As I keep saying, talent isn't enough.