Dembele's Spurs future in his own hands

There has been much wild speculation by the media that usually involves a lack of thought of the bigger picture. A player isn't playing regularly therefore Spurs must want to sell him seems to be the general way to think, not here though.



I would much rather look at something rationally to determine whether it has any merit or not and the situation over Belgian midfielder Mousa Dembele (wheh I got the nationality right!) has been uncertain. Our defensive midfielder are split into two groups, the more defensive of the two, Nabil Bentaleb, Etienne Capoue, Benjamin Stambouli and the group who have more attacking licence, Ryan Mason, Paulinho, Dembele.

Etienne Capoue is not wanted by Pochettino, he is too slow on the ball but was one of the players involved back in November after the Stoke City game, so he clearly didn't buy into the Argentinian's philosophy on football. Paulinho has also failed to impress and has been offered for sale. That is one player from each group Pochettino is looking to change.

Ryan Mason is ahead of Dembele in the pecking order because he follows the head coaches instructions, he moves the ball quickly, switches play a lot and plays with high energy. Dembele is not a player you associate with high energy, he is more languid, slows play down but has the ability to skip past a man and retain possession of the ball.

The main issue Spurs have with him is that he has stagnated, he has been happy just to play his own game at his pace and not improve. Coach after coach have thought he should be a world class player instead of just a very good one but Dembele hasn't had the inner drive to push himself to be the best he can be. If a player is guaranteed a starting berth or thinks he is guaranteed a starting berth then some players rest on their laurels, they don't think they have to improve to maintain that status, Dembele smacks of being one of those players.

The result is this season he has been in and out of the side, a bit part player and that appears to have got him thinking.

“I always want to play so of course it’s [been] a big disappointment for me, but I can’t stand still with the disappointment. I need to think about myself as well, what to do better or why I don’t play, and what to do. I want to play much more, of course. Even though I can play in a few positions I think I can be the first [choice], but I don’t know how the manager thinks.”

Now those words to me clearly indicate to me that Pochettino is happy to have him in the squad, there is the element where Dembele himself could decide to leave for 'guaranteed' first team football. If he stays, as expected, then he knows he will have to improve, an improved Mousa Dembele is a high class player.

Paulinho and Capoue are the two midfielders Spurs want to replace, suggesting Dembele is up for sake is erroneous I believe.