Redknapp on possible formation and Cole

Harry Redknapp has recently spoken about Joe Cole and the possible formation that Tottenham will be implementing.

When asked where he would play Joe Cole (if we were successful in signing him), Harry had this to say: "I think you'd either play him in behind, like the boy [Mesut Ozil] plays for Germany - he could play that position off a striker and be free - or I even think he could play in the middle of the park in whatever system.

"If you play with two up front you could play with a diamond. He could play in behind. I think Joe's strong enough, he's a lot stronger than people realise. He can run all day, he plays with great enthusiasm and skill, I think he's got everything.

"I think there's a good chance [that we can sign him]. A few weeks ago I probably didn't think there was a lot of chance. I really felt that Joe maybe had decided to go somewhere else. To be honest I thought he had maybe done a deal with another club.

"But I don't think he has now and if it's possible to get him I would like him. I'm not going to tell a lie, yes I have spoken to Joe. He's got lots of options, I think quite a lot of clubs want him but I had a great relationship with him as a kid [at West Ham]."

As regards the formation we'll be using next season, Redknapp said: "I think that rigid 4-4-2 formation is the problem when you go in to play teams who can keep the ball.

"Chelsea and Arsenal didn't go into Europe playing that way. Liverpool don't go away from home in Europe and play this way.

"Take Germany - they played with Ozil in the hole behind the striker, two midfield players, and they popped it around.

"I think you can get away with 4-4-2 in the Premier League. Most teams are playing open, but in the World Cup, in European games, and certainly away from home in Europe... I think we're going to have to look at it [at Tottenham]."

With the players we currently have in our squad, I feel that we could implement the below system (click on the image to enlarge it). If Cole does sign, I suppose you could rotate him with Niko Kranjcar.

Tottenham Hotspur Formation, THBN

Source: Ham & High

_________________________________________________
Follow our rants on Twitter

Read our latest Evening Standard Blog


Have you got an iPod or mp3 player? If you love listening to audiobooks, click here....

Big Chiv: My Goals in Life - Get it now!