An open letter to Darren Bent

Dear Darren,

I read your comments in The Sun this morning and was shocked and appalled by your behaviour.

You stated that in the two years at Tottenham Hotspur, you "never actually felt wanted" and that "it was the worst two years of my career".

I see that you failed to state that in those two years, you were paid just over £4 million, plus bonuses, signing on fees, etc.

I also seem to remember comments made by you on the day you signed for us to the tune of;

"It's exciting times for me and Spurs and hopefully I'll show what I can do.

Being a professional footballer means that you get on with it. You get paid and paid extremely well to do a job. I'm sure there was nothing in your contract about the manager putting his arm around you.

You also added the following statement the day you signed;

"The club already have Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov. It will be hard work getting in the team, but Tottenham are a massive club".

Hmm. So you knew you were signing on as a squad player when you signed your £160,000 per month contract. I am pretty sure that not even you thought you could shove the likes of the above strikers out of the way, not without one hell of a fight?

Ah, but alas, you had your chance when all three departed. But still you said "my career stood still at Tottenham".

Two of the three strikers had to be brought back to the club as you clearly weren't up to the task.

Three managers can't all be wrong, can they? Jol, Ramos and Redknapp saw you as a non-starter.

And I don't know what form Sandra was in at the time you missed "that sitter", but I can assure you that my Alexia would have buried it.

Now do run along Darren and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

PS. If you were so unhappy, why in all that time did you not put in a transfer request?