Spurs vs Boca Analysis

By ManicSpur
For THBN

Spurs 2 – 2 Boca Juniors


With this being the opening game in our group, my opinion is that we did ok, but lacked that extra something.

I won’t go into the match details as you can read what happened on other sites. What I will say though, is that we either desperately need a left winger or an attacking midfielder, not both.

Reid just isn’t cut out to be a winger. He’s more like a Beckham, but unfortunately not as good. I am not saying that he won’t get better. I am saying that in my opinion, he will never have the ability to take on players on the outside with pace and skill and then cross a ball in from the touchline. He will however, cross from deep and come into the centre every now and then.

The one big drawback that I spotted was that Defoe and Mido continually had to go out into the wide left position in order to pick up the ball.

My opinion is that you either have two out-and-out wingers (in the Routledge criteria), or have an attacking midfielder (Rosicky criteria) and only one right/left winger, with the other flank area occupied by someone like Reid.

If we are to have two out-and-out wingers and an attacking midfielder, we will suffer in the defensive department, as it will be very hard for attack minded players to track back and defend.

The other sore point for me was Keane. His attitude stinks. If a pass to him went slightly astray, he would go bananas. I am sure that he knows he won’t be around much longer.

The good points for me were Defoe and Mido. They really did play well together. Mido is looking better and better with each game, and Defoe is beginning to look world class. Both strikers took their goals superbly.

Routledge was another plus. He will be an outstanding player for us, not just this season, but for many years to come. If he is to become truly great, then he'll need to work on his strength.

I will finally add that the commentary on EuroSport (EU) was terrible. The guy had absolutely no idea. Saying that Jol joined us in November was funny, but then stating that Boca were Brazilians was bloody hilarious!

These are my opinions on the current game play and setup. What are yours?